Welcome to the Seventh, and final, part of our ICD-10-CM, Explained bundle series.
When we first set out to clarify the ICD-10-CM guidelines, we didn’t quite understand what a huge undertaking it would be. From our very first blog post back in January of 2019 until today, we’ve written thousands of words on ICD-10, all in an attempt to clarify the confusion so many of us coders and auditors have when we approach our jobs each morning.
This undertaking was in no small part because of the amount of questions our department gets each day on the topics of coding for diagnostics, outpatient services, causes of morbidity, or laboratory findings. But the truth is, we simply don’t have the time to answer each and every one of your questions. So, one day we had a brainstorm session, where we shared with the team some of the most common questions we get. It was then that we realized: we could answer so many of these questions in one fell swoop by assigning each of our auditors an individual chapter of ICD-10-CM, then do a deep-dive, of the ins-and-outs of each. We designed these guides to provide practical use cases coupled with clear definitions.
It’s been quite a journey, to say the least. In our last bundle, ICD-10-CM Explained Part 6, we provided a wealth of guidance, where we covered:
- Section 19: Injury, Poisoning, and Certain Other Consequences of External Causes: Part 1, by Nafheem Ameen
- Section 19: Injury, Poisoning, and Certain Other Consequences of External Causes: Part 2, by Vikas Chawla
- Section 20: External Causes of Morbidity, by Laura Brink
And now, it’s with mixed emotions that we share with you the seventh and final part of the series, “ICD-10-CM, Explained: Part Seven.” Inside, you’ll get our final deep dive into ICD-10 areas and receive easy-to-understand explanations on how you can properly code and audit:
- Section 1.C.9: Diseases of the Circulatory System (Part 2), By Nafheem Ameen
- Section 3: Reporting Additional Diagnoses, By Lori Cox
- Section 4: Diagnostic Coding and Reporting Guidelines for Outpatient Services, By Lori Cox
Be sure to download the rest of this series by using the following links: